Sunday, April 25, 2010
This is how I make my mayonnaise in the Thermomix. It's quick and easy, and tastes delicious!! I like to use garlic, shallots and seeded mustard in mine to add flavour and texture, and a little honey to sweeten it. You can keep it plain if you like - just leave out the garlic and shallots, and use dijon mustard. I also use white wine vinegar - you can use lemon juice instead, but it's a bit more 'iffy' - the acidity of the lemon juice is variable, so some batches of mayonnaise may work better than others.
I have hardly ever had this recipe fail - it's very easy. Just don't forget to let the egg get to room temperature before you begin - or better still, use a nice, fresh egg collected straight from the chook pen! If you do have a batch of mayonnaise that fails, don't throw it out... Start again, with another room temperature egg yolk, mustard, vinegar, honey, etc - then instead of drizzling in oil, drizzle in the failed mayonnaise, and hopefully it will work out better the second time.
All ingredients should be at room temperature, especially the egg!!!
1. Weigh oil into the jar the mayonnaise will be stored in and set aside.
- 250g macadamia oil (or grapeseed oil, but macadamia is better for you)
2. Chop in Thermomix bowl on speed 7 for 5 seconds:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 shallot, chopped in a few pieces
3. Separate the egg, and add to bowl with other ingredients:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 rounded teaspoon seeded mustard (or dijon mustard)
* Note: If you don't think you'll use the mayonnaise within a week or so, you can store it in a ziploc bag and squeeze the air out of it - this will help it to keep longer.